Reply To: LOST WOLVERHAMPTON -QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS

Frontpage Forum People & Places of Wolverhampton LOST WOLVERHAMPTON -QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS Reply To: LOST WOLVERHAMPTON -QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS

georgenabbs

Participant

Bill, great mixture of subjects.

Cheapside and queuing for the Gods at the Hippodrome. I did that with my Granny, we went many times, up until the nudes appeared, that finished it. The only two big names I can remember was Arthur Lucan and Kitty McShane aka Old Mother Riley and her daughter Kitty, in fact they were husband and wife. The other act was called Big Bill Campbell and the Rocky Mountain boys who sang “Cowboy Songs” not Country and Western but songs made popular by Roy Rogers and Gene Autrey two of the singing cowboys of the Silver Screen.

Wulfruna Street and the No. 3 bus. Yes, Bill I remember the queue, do you remember the little sweet shop. Being a student at St. Peters the sweet shop was a regular shop for me to call at.

I was in my local the other day and some one was spouting how he was at Wolverhampton University.  “Oh you mean the Tech. ” I can never think of it as the Polytechnic or as Wolverhampton University. I must add I was never clever enough to attend as a pupil my visits were to the Saturday Night Dances.

The Wolves and the Cup. I was eight at the time and all I can remember is going up to Cheapside  when they came back and were given a Civic Reception.

The only Morris 8 I can remember was one a mate of mine had. In those of days of course heaters were an unknown luxury. As the Morris 8 was not only a means of transport but also the passion wagon, this mate used to have an old metal circular paraffin heater in the passenger well.  Probably where the song title comes from, ” I need my love, to keep me warm”