Reply To: QUERY CORNER

Frontpage Forum People & Places of Wolverhampton QUERY CORNER Reply To: QUERY CORNER

Billy

Participant

WE HAVE THIS REQUEST REGARDING OLD NEWHAMPTON ROAD WEST.

Hi Billy, was wondering if you could help?

Recently an unknown distant relative contacted me, this was completely out of the blue.
She is a distant cousin and was researching her family tree. She is related to me through my paternal grandmother Ellen (Nellie) Taylor, born Wolverhampton 1898, my paternal grandfather was Joseph Frederick Barlow, Joe was born in Wolverhampton in 1894.

This distant cousin said that her mother reckoned that my Grandad, Joe Barlow, was related to the founders of Barlow Motors of Wolverhampton. Perhaps a brother or cousin of the founders. That’s the first I’d heard of it. Do you know anything of the history or founders of Barlow Motors?

Regards Terry Barlow (Shrewsburywolf)

All I can say at present Terry is that they seemed to appear at 347, Newhampton Road around the mid 1950’s. They may have took on the original Motor sale business of Shacklock’s , who were situated at 347 Newhampton Road in between Gibbs Street and Hunter Street.prior to that date.

We have a Most knowledgeable member who has mentioned Shacklock’s in his stories

Below the old cellar head.