Who remembers Art Street and the Art College built on its junction with Darlington Street
On the left opposite the school were W.H. Stokes decorators,and alongside them filling the remainder of the east side of Art Street and the corner of Salop Street,were motor dealers Bradburn & Wedge Ltd. (remember the Besom Yard and Singing Margaret)
All this side of the street made way for the H.Q. of the Staffordshire Building Society.-
Art Street; so named because of the Grecian Doric building seen on the right, on the corner of Darlington Street built in the 1850’s to house the School of Art and Design.
When this picture was taken it was used mainly as the Youth Employment Bureau.and as an annex for the art school;
Below the old cellar head.