Reply To: "MEMORIES" of Wolverhampton Childhood 2

Frontpage Forum People & Places of Wolverhampton "MEMORIES" of Wolverhampton Childhood 2 Reply To: "MEMORIES" of Wolverhampton Childhood 2

Billy

Participant

Savoy 1965 jpg

A little “nostalgia” for all Old Wulfrunians who once said. “Will you take me in Please?.

Nowadays the first experience of a cinema visit for a child is probably on occasion to see a new Disney release or the like, but my first visit was nothing like that.

It was in the summer of 1943. The place the “Savoy’ in Garrick Street there was just my mother and I, dad was away on war work, at that time.

I remember we queued at the entrance to the front stalls at the corner of Old Hall Street, and when we finally recieved our tickets and went down the stairs into the cinema I recall we had to stand for awhile just 50yds from the screen and the main feature a western, “Jesse James” was halfway through.

I gazed up at this large screen and in full technicolour, what a sight, it was awe inspiring to me as a six year, old.

After waiting a short while standing looking looking up at the screen we were found two seats, and as the film reached its climax , and the background music; the hymn, “Yes Jesus loves me” played at ‘Jesse’s funeral , the sorrowful tears ran down my face, and at that moment I was completely lost to films, and film music forever.

Below the old cellar head.