Reply To: "TIME GENTLEMEN PLEASE" Public Houses remembered

Frontpage Forum People & Places of Wolverhampton "TIME GENTLEMEN PLEASE" Public Houses remembered Reply To: "TIME GENTLEMEN PLEASE" Public Houses remembered

#5151

Billy

Participant

The large gates front the entrance to Ben Hadley’s yard and stables. He was a Horse dealer and licensee in 1922.
And for a little while longer he and his wife will be mine hosts at here the “Alhambra Inn” next door. for brewery owner Frank Myatt.

Five years after this photograph was taken the evening publication of the Express & Star Monday June 27th 1927, related to fact of the passing of the Old Alhambra, popularly, known as Wolverhampton’s Rendezvous of the “Profession”

It went on to say; ”The ‘Alhambra Inn’ Market Street is due to come down with the street widening scheme .

It mentioned its historic past, when the old “Theatre Royal” stood on the site now occupied by the library,on Snow Hill, and the Alhambra was the snug and companionable house close by, that became the resort of “professional’ people and has remained so until this day. (this day being 27th June 1927)

For 25 years the licensee’s, Mr and Mrs Ben Hadley, have proved popular figures among theatrical and music-hall people visiting Wolverhampton.

An extensive gallery of signed photographs of stage personalities adorned the walls of the Alhambra, among them are those of Dan Leno, and Miss Marie Lloyd, and many more actors, actresses and music hall stars, retain happy recollections of the old Alhambra, the licence of which, will be now transferred to the Bushbury arms, Low Hill.

The large building seen in the background I believe to be the old “Smithfield Brewery” as this area was once known and shown on the map of 1870.
* Castle Yard, which as we know is still there alongside Marks & Spencer, was at the side of the Alhambra, and the name came from the ‘Castle Inn’ which up until the late 1820’s was immediatly behind it at one time in Dudley Street.

The name ”Castle” later carried on in the form of a new public House sited at the top of Tower Street opposite the Wheatsheaf, and it is shown on the map of 1870.

Below the old cellar head.