The painting in question David is one of “Broadmeadow” The site of the original Racecourse.
As seen below.
The area of the Old Racecourse in the times of Elizabeth was known as Hungry Leas, on the account of it being mostly bog and marshland, and during the race meetings held there in the 18 century there was many a report of the course being waterlogged and flooded.
Horse race meetings were held on this area of broad meadow’s on the west side of town from the 1820’s until, in 1878 the Duke of Cleveland, the owner of this land. Decided not to renew the lease and the West Park was opened on this site in 1881.
But the town wasn’t to be denied a racecourse for very long, because a decade later on land a mile or so away in the ownership of Alexander Staveley Hill. The newly formed Dunstall Park Company, opened their new race course.
Now although having lost quite a lot of its originality with modernisation,
For example The original course – built for flat and National Hunt fixtures and of course, its own railway station Dunstall Park.
The racecourse was itself , was within a hairs breadth of closing, just a few years ago.
But we in the West Midlands can be very pleased with the fact that we still have a racecourse at Dunstall Park with its all- weather surface still providing regular meetings throughout the year.
Below the old cellar head.