Reply To: Lost Wolverhampton is now on the "MAP"

Frontpage Forum People & Places of Wolverhampton Lost Wolverhampton is now on the "MAP" Reply To: Lost Wolverhampton is now on the "MAP"

#5209

Billy

Participant

Davids continuing interest in Stafford Street on his facebook group, has brought about a lot of comments regarding the whereabouts of the slum area once known as Carribee Islands.

Well let me map it out for you.

CARRIBBEE NOW

The area between Stafford Street, Littles lane and Canal Street was for many years known as Caribbee Islands

During the 1840’s and 50’s Wolverhampton offered a lifeline to those facing starvation in Ireland as the result of the terrible Potato famine, and during these years the town saw a great influx of Irish Families.

Many ended up in this area between Stafford Street and the canal, and by 1851, out of an overall population of nearly 50 thousand, over 6,000 were Irish.

At first it was mostly young single men looking for work that came taking mainly labouring jobs in Iron works, on farms or in mines and when the womenfolk came over they usually found work as servants, or lodging house keepers

With so many families now settled in the town, Catholic schools were needed for the children. the first one being built in littles lane in 1849 S.S. Patrick and George.

For the Irish community life was tough and often violent and disease ridden.,Typhoid and Cholera were rife in Carribbee Island and the mortality rate was high.

IN 1843 a public report outlined the squalid and unsanitary conditions endured by many poor Irish families and local Doctor, James Gatis wrote a letter to the chronicle in disgust stating nothing had been done to eradicate the evil conditions.

No wonder that there were so many cases of fever especially Typhus fever.

In 1849 Robert Rawlinson produced a damning report that would eventually lead to improvements in the towns public health and in the late 1880’s with the coming of the Artisans dwelling act the whole area of Carribbee islands was demolished and rebuilt

Below the old cellar head.