"SPRINGFIELDS"the place recalled

Frontpage Forum People & Places of Wolverhampton "SPRINGFIELDS"the place recalled

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Billy

Participant

Pub 1

Pub 2

Pub 3

Below the old cellar head.

Billy

Participant

I rediscovered this delightful  story from George, on his reminiscence, of life around Springfields and I would like to share it with members that haven’t seen it before.

wishbone

Participant

hi bill just re discovered how to get back on Lost wolverhampton .i did once rely to a post by George about his childhood in Springfields along with photos of FIELD ST JUCTION ST CULWELL ST AND NINE STEPS.I cant seem to obtain on line the photo of SPRING ST .My cousin Bill kemp lived in the st and his house is shown. i am going to introduce him to Lost Wolverhampton as im sure he will be ableto recall his youth in the 40s .COLIN

Participant

The very nature of life then meant you were in often in touch with your neighbours – after all, you shared a lot with them. I doubt the modern inhabitants of Springfields have that same sense of neighbourliness, though life today is based on individualism, an often cause of loneliness.
      I’d imagine the students in the Victoria Halls tower block have their own type of neighbourliness, though removed from that of George and his memories.
      Again, a shame to see the disappearance of an old area in the name of ‘progress’.

Freemasons Arms, Springfields (16.02.2013)

This beoþ ða land ymere ðe Wlfrun hafaþ, don into ða mynstre in Hamtune, & ðe tune nome ðe ðis priuilegie ymbe specheþ.

georgenabbs

Participant

Thank you, Bill.

It’s not often anything I do is referred  to as delightful. Not even by me.

Regards, George.

Billy

Participant

Hi George Glad to see your are back I have been meaning to ring you I hope you and Pat are both well. Your sparring partner in Australia David has missed you and sends his best Wishes.

Its very quiet on our site at present with the majority of followers of Wolverhamptons past seem to find it more easier to banter to one another on Facebook,  I do have a look at Wolverhampton in old Photographs and have put a few links on it to our site. But up to now not had much response.

I thought a little weekly quiz might attract more interest , but thats not really took of either at present. But I shall keep on and as I said before Glad to have you back.

Billy

Participant

Hi Colin

You have made my day. I was beginning to despair of the lack of interest in Lost Wolverhampton and was going to drop the forum But I will keep it open and endeavour to find more to encourage more comments All the best for Christmas.

Billy

georgenabbs

Participant

Hello Wishbone, the photographs you refer to, in fact nearly all the photographs I used were from the Archives. If you can’t find them in the files there are a couple of boxes that are marked as unknown. I usually make a point of looking at them to see if anything rings a bell. Also not all photographs are on the net so you really need to visit the Archives. Regards, George.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.