FOUND " THE GWR PLAQUE "

Frontpage Forum News & Events FOUND " THE GWR PLAQUE "

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Mark Cooper Mark Cooper 3 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

Mark Cooper
    Mark Cooper

Participant

Just to advise members that after much searching we have found the Plaque

commemorating 150 years of locomotive building in the City. Yes, it was there

all the time, hidden in the carpark of Eurofit Stafford Road/Gorsebrook Road

I can send in photos if required (when I can figure out how to do it). The request? came from Michael Webb, volunteer at Bantock House, who’s

grandfather worked at the Great Western Works. So, Michael, here is your

story.? It’s in the carpark with a “Wheelset”? – a set of railway carriage

wheels.

While on the subject of lost history, I can report that Mr Aaron Gill has

started a campaign to “SAVE ST. LUKE’S CHURCH, BLAKENHALL” from

the ravages of time and maintenance by the C of E, those interested in saving this beautiful church for future generations, please google “Save St. Luke’s

on the 38 degrees website and add your name. So far 1400 people have decided to sign this online petition which has been supported by Pat McFadden MP,? Wolverhampton Civic Historical Society, several councillors,

the City Council and residends of Blakenhall and Goldthorn area. All are

welcome to sign, it cost nothing and may well save this glorious building

which was built in the?1860’s and closed in 2009.? There are some amazing

photos on the website.? The church was the original home of the “Wolves F.C. “? and has a plaque outside to commemorate the occasion. Justin Welby

has intervened and the Archdeacon of Lichfield has said it will not be demolished because of the local interest.

Niphon Works is another at risk building together with Dudley Road School

so be vigilant, keep your eyes peeled and SIGN THE PETITION before it is

too late.? Thanks to Aaron Gill for his campaign and all the good work he has

put in.

MarktheArcher

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.