Hi My name is Carole

Frontpage Forum Introduce yourself Hi My name is Carole

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

munchkins6

Participant

Back in 1953 I was 10 years old, and lived at number 45 Pool Street in the Graisley area. My Mom….Annie Tranter ran a little “Front Room Shop” and the shop was next door to the Yew Tree pub…which I believe still stands and still trades…they apparently do a good Curry. The pub in those days was owned by a Mr & Mrs Swatman who had a disabled daughter called Marlene who sadly died at a young age. My Dad, Billy Tranter worked at the Sunbeam works at the top of Pool Street…and during his lunch time he would stand behind the big gates attached to our yard and collect bets from punters. Betting in those days was illegal…but he had a stream of customers, he collected bets from work as well, unknown to the boss of course. The bets were taken to my Granddad, Ernest Rowlands who lived at 21 Ablow Street. During the evening the winners and losers were separated and the winners paid out….until the next time. I can recall my Dad talking to Granddad about the times that the “Dicks” (plain clothes policemen) had caught him, and chased him up Pountney Street onto the Dudley Road where he was apprehended and ended up in front of the judge, that happened more than the once.
      For reasons best known to themselves the punters all had pseudonyms, I remember a lady who was known as Tottie Fey, bringing her bet on the page of an autograph album…on which had been written “He who sitteth upon a tack shall riseth forever” Funny what the memory retains.

Billy

Participant

Hello Carole.
      Thank you for getting in touch your post has brought back many fond memories for me I had many reasons for visiting the area around St Paul’s Church from the time just after the War
      I remember the illegal bookmakers that frequented many of the back alleys, pubs and works at that time I also had many friends that used the local pubs
      I recall many a Sunday morning breakfast trip, from the Swan with two necks. My father had relations the Thomas’s in Ablow Street. The only saving grace from this one time tight knit community is that they are re-furbishing the redundant Snbeamland and get people back living in the area again.

Below the old cellar head.

munchkins6

Participant

Hi Billy Thanks for the response…if my memory serves me right I think the pub you mention was called the Swan with Two Nicks……but I prefer the name my Dad used to call it and that was The Dirty Duck.
      It has been many years since we lived in Wolverhampton…….I know we saw the best of it….but I am pleased to hear the area is being
      re-furbished…back then it was a very happy place to live with a strong community spirit..

Paul

Participant

Hello Carole

I trust you are keeping well and I’m hoping that you still dip in and out of this forum from time to time.

My Son, Lee and I have been looking into our family tree over the last couple of years.

To cut a long story short, your Mom, Annie, and my Grandad, Bill Rowlands, were Brother and Sister.

I am 57 years old now and I recently met up with Jean Leadham, nee Muir, who was a Bridesmaid at my Mothers wedding in 1953, and as you will know, the Muirs’ and the Rowlands’ are intertwined on our family tree. Bill Rowlands married Beatrice Muir. They had my Mom, Dorothy. So without Bill and Annie, neither of us would be here 🙂

I would love the opportunity to speak with you over the phone Carole, or to contact each other via email ?

My email address is :- cleartime@blueyonder.co.uk

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards

Paul Byrne

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.