Introducing myself

Frontpage Forum Introduce yourself Introducing myself

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Billy 4 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

Pam

Participant

Hi my name is Pam.

I was born in Albert St Wolverhampton 1963. My dad Arthur Fieldhouse was born in Bilston 1921 (Steelhouse Lane), and mum Gwen Fieldhouse (nee Southall) Garrick Place 1929. We moved south when I was  about two years old, now living in St Albans Hertfordshire, but have most of my extended family still in the Midlands.  I have passion for doing the family tree, and love to look at  the history of Wolverhampton, and have been up to visit places of interest on many occasions, sadly like everywhere completely changed, although lovely to see my great-grandparents house in Hargreaves St, much the same. I looked at the article on Steelhouse Lane with keen interest, my dad was probably bought up in one of the terraced houses shown in the picture. He got married at All Saints in 1954.

I would love to know more about a barbers shop and shoe shop that the Fieldhouse brothers worked at all those years ago, maybe Bilston St, but not quite sure

Regards Pam

Billy

Participant

Hello Pam, nice to hear from you. I will try to find any info I can on the barbers and cobblers shops in the area in question.

At present I can find an Albert Fieldhouse,at 130 Steelhouse Lane at the time I was attendinng St Josephs School.

No.130 was across the road from our school and All Saints Church.
    I left in 1922 two years before your parents wed and Albert Fieldhouse was still living at 130 then.

Below the old cellar head.

Billy

Participant

Steelhouse Lane, in the 1950’s looking toward the junction of Cleveland Road and Bilston Road, just out of view on the left were the Victorian built Parish Church and Schools of All Saints.

Across All Saints Road with its playground fronting Steelhouse Lane was the later built, Catholic Secondary Modern School for boys of ‘St josephs.”

This was probably the type of terraced house your dad once lived in. Pam.

Cooling Tower

In the background is the previously mentioned cooling tower of the Wolverhampton Electrical Company, seen here bathed in sunlight, standing at the rear of Commercial Road.
    The tower in the days between the wars would provide hot water to warm the local youth, as they enjoyed a swim in the Birmingham canal alongside it.

Below the old cellar head.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.