Lindy Lou – Now Bereft.

Frontpage Forum People & Places of Wolverhampton Lindy Lou – Now Bereft.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Billy

Participant

Roofless Lindy Lou

Early History.

THE HAND INN TUNWALL STREET

Best remembered as “Lindy Lou” 19 Victoria Street and 42 St John’s Street.

An early recollection.

In a Terrier of Sir Walter Leveson’s Wolverhampton estates dated 29th September 1609, one of his eighty or so tenants is named as Nicholas Worthington, occupier of one messuage and common Inne called the Hand in Tunwall Street adjoyinge John’s Lane on the South Syde.

There can be no doubt as to identify this Inn site. Tunwall Street is the ancient name for Victoria Street, and Johns Lane most of which is now absorbed in to the Mander Centre.

On the 12th June 1750 the freehold passed to John Jesson of Graseley, a prosperous Wolverhampton Attorney.
      As to the occupancy during its ownership of the Jessons the Town rate Books have survived, and local trade directories give a few clues.
      By 1818 the property or part of it was being used as a Bakery by Edward Farmer 19 Cock Street.

Finally, in 1873, Henry Hughes established his bakery business and the very long family connection of the following century is to well known to need. a repetition here.

The writer was shown over the building in 1957 courtesy of the then present Mr Hughes who had recently renamed the former “Copper Kettle” – “Lindy Lou.”

Below the old cellar head.

Billy

Participant

I have placed this photo especially for Ray a new member from Dorsett, an ex Wulfrunian formerley from Whitmore Reans.
      Ray said he once worked on Lindy Lou’s shop in Victoria Street and I am assuming it was at a time The Building was going through these drastic changes , which for me was – A transplant to far!.

Not many Old Wulfrunians left now, who can say they enjoyed a restful break in the Old Copper Kettle.

Below the old cellar head.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.