QUIZ PIC- JANUARY No.1

Frontpage Forum Puzzle Corner QUIZ PIC- JANUARY No.1

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  tonydavies 4 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

Billy

Participant

This gentleman seems to have lost his Keys and I think today

we must have lost the Gate

Any Idea were we are?

THE GATES

Below the old cellar head.

tonydavies

Participant

The building in the background looks like Giffard House. Given that there’s a road between the gate and the house, I’ll take a stab at the old Wholesale Market in Wulfruna Street.

Billy

Participant

Tony thank you again for your continued support, You have now eliminated the Wholesale Market from the possible list of answers, as that is not the correct one in this case and so have helped others considering having a go.

Have another think!

tonydavies

Participant

Second stab (in the dark!). Back of the Molineau Hotel and a gate into the football ground?

Alternatively, A gate into Giffard House with the Hotel in the background.

Billy

Participant

Its looks as though there is only you and I again Tony, so a clue is needed as its no where near the Molineux.

All I can say it would “Costa” lot more money to re-place the gates today than it did when they were first placed there 160 years ago.

MaggieH

Participant

We’re not anywhere near Chapel Ash, are we, Billy? I don’t recognise the gate, but the building in the background reminds me of some I used to pass on my way to school, around the top of Tettenhall Rd / Compton Rd.

Billy

Participant

No Maggie nowhere near Chapel Ash. I thought the previous clue I gave was a give away to the location today and the building you mention in the background then on the photo is still there.today in 2015 Amazing isn’t it!

georgenabbs

Participant

In between wanderings, Billy. Your clue did it, I think. The Queens Building, Victoria Square. An interesting question, I’ll give you a more interesting one. Where is it now?  Gone, like so many of Wolverhampton’s finest bits?

tonydavies

Participant

Is this something to do with the underground toilets in Queens Square? Looking more closely at the gate, it does seem as though there are steps leading downwards, and the building in the background does have a resemblance to the block of buildings housing Costa

Billy

Participant

Blimey George I have missed you I hope your gallivanting has ceased now for awhile.

Tony obviously didn’t realise that you had given the correct solution with The Queens Building in Victoria Square. Which of course is now a “Costa Coffee”,

And if you go inside and look through the now glassed up gateway were the ornate gates were removed from.  You will still see across the way on the corner of Queen Street street The Georgian Building split today between the Wulfrun Hotel and a One Stop food store.

As you say George the ornate gates have now gone forever to the Lost Wolverhampton Property store in the Sky.

Queens Building

tonydavies

Participant

Well done George! I’d written my guess out earlier, went away to do something else, and came back and posted without checking to see if there were anymore replies. Such a shame that so many ornate pieces are gone forever.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.