QUIZ PICTURE – 10

Frontpage Forum Puzzle Corner QUIZ PICTURE – 10

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Billy 4 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

Billy

Participant

Elephant Junction

From his position standing here in the 1950’s The photographer would have been able to see Two Public Houses – A local Doctors Surgery The doctor himself became a Mayor of Wolverhampton he could also see the little shop were for a few short years a ex Wolves Player opened his first Sports Business

Where is this scene – How many of those snippets can you name?

Below the old cellar head.

Robert
    Robert

Participant

My, My Billy this topic brings back some memories considering I used to travel this route every morning and return every afternoon on my way to and from St Chads college, Fallings  Park by  Trolleybus.  I can only remember the name of the Elephant and Castle pub, I have forgotten the other. The sports shop belonged to the Wolves winger Jimmy Mullen, I believe he opened one near Monmore green at a later date. Happy days!

Brother Phillip and self 1937.

Billy

Participant

Nice to hear from you Rob, and yes it holds many memories for me as this was part of my playground You of course have answered two of the questions from this little puzzle.
    Best Wishes.

Billy

Participant

Dons Answers were:

Hi Bill, this looks like the junction of Stafford St & Cannock Rd.

The footballer would be Jimmy Mullen, the doctor Byrne-Quinn,

The pubs definitely the Elephant & Castle, and possibly the Barley Mow.

Answers:
    All correct except the Barley Mow – It was in Lower Stafford Where here on the right corner of Stafford Street and Cannock Road facing the Elephant and Castle seen here on this photograph was The Junction Inn.

Doctor Byrne-Quinn, was Mayor of Wolverhampton in 1943.
    Jimmy Mullens sports shop was at the top of Crescent Row at that time.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.