QUIZ PICTURE – No. 3

Frontpage Forum Puzzle Corner QUIZ PICTURE – No. 3

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Billy 4 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

Billy

Participant

Conrad Veidt

This man frightened the life out of me as a youngster when I saw this film for the first time just after the War.
    But this spectacular colourfful film is right there high up on my list of Best Pictures of all time

Below the old cellar head.

Billy

Participant

Can you tell me the name of this Actor- The name of the Movie this film still is from. – and the 1990’s movie it inspired.

tonydavies

Participant

You’ve got me with this one Billy! Being a mere stripling of 67, this is way before I started going to the “flicks”, and it would have  beeen years before I’d have been allowed to see something scary! Having no clue to go on I wouldn’t have any idea where to start researching. Hope someone else has better luck.

georgenabbs

Participant

Bill,
    This ones too easy. I’m going to make it a bit easier. He was known as a bit of a Pratt with no sense of humour.
    I’ve found two other stills of him in a turban and many in a Fez but neither of the two with the Turban, from the Film that I think you refer to. All will be revealed as the Actress said to the Bishop.

Billy

Participant

George I dont agree with your general opinion of this actor I admit he didn’t play in any comedy films But he certainly dominated the screen with his prescence in all the spy thrillers I saw him in.

georgenabbs

Participant

Hallo Bill,

As I said all will be revealed. Boris Karloff , him with no sense of humour, car loff, gerrit, was better known to his Mom and Dad, Mr. and Mrs. Pratt as William Henry. Known to us as Dr. Frankenstein, Fu Manchu, Scarface and the Grinch, William Henry Pratt aka Boris Karloff was born in Enfield England and made over 80 films plus television appearances.

The film I think you’re referring to Bill, was The Mummy but that particular still, I think comes from a production called Bud Abbot and Lew Costello Meet The Killer. The only other still with him wearing a turban I can find is The Veil, A TV production that apparently was never shown.  There is a site http://www.karloff.com run by his daughter.

Regards,

The Actress

Billy

Participant

Now I know what you were talking about George But you a right out of the picture with this chap, who did though have a similar foreign sounding name to Karloff.
    It was said of this actor in 1937 his career in England took on a new dimension and for the first time he was allowed to appear as his own elegant immaculate self as a German spy in the film…..

This film added to a special occasion in Wolverhampton in the year it was released.

There you go another quiz question.

Billy

Participant

Hi George after the above multitude of incorrect answers abve.I am going to put you all our out of your misery, and give you the answers.

The actor in Question is Conrad Veidt.German born who later became a British Citizen.
    The film he is appearing in the film still: was The Theif of Bagdad (1940) with Sabu, playing the title role and Veidt, playing the evil vizier Jaffar.

The 1990’s film it inspired was of course Disneys “Aladdin”

The special occasion in 1937, was the year his career took of in England when he played opposite a young Vivien Leigh, in the spy film “Dark Journey”. The film chosen to open the new Odeon Super Cinema in Wolverhampton.

MIDDLE PAGES

tonydavies

Participant

Just an interesting snippet for you Billy. Vivien Leigh was born Vivien Mary Hartley in the grounds of my old boarding school, St Paul’s,  in Darjeeling – although some other schools in the area have tried to claim her as theirs!

georgenabbs

Participant

Hallo Bill,

Conrad Veidt. It was on the tip of my tongue. Was it Hell. I’d have bet your life on it being Boris Karloff. I did find the film, which earned threeOscars, but could not find your shot of him. I did find one shot of him in a turban but it bore no resemblance to yours. Going back to it, I now find it was from a film he made about 30 years earlier called the The Indian Tomb. I also found a shot of Raymond Massey in a turban that bore more than a passing resemblance. So I was well out of it. You will know but maybe not Tony that Conrad Veidt was in Casablanca. Going from the sublime to the ridiculous I found a cigarette advert with a picture of Veidt and the caption “If Conrad Veidt offered you a cigarette it would be a DeReske”

Billy

Participant

Thanks George and Tony for your contributions, Have a nice break George and keep in touch via your I-Pad

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.