QUIZ PICTURE – OCTOBER 5

Frontpage Forum Puzzle Corner QUIZ PICTURE – OCTOBER 5

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Billy 4 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

Billy

Participant

Clock

There are many clocks featured on the walls of Wolverhampton Buildings most are unreliable

(1)  Where in town would you see this one…….

(2) This building in 1961 was a tailors  bonus if you can name them..

(3) This Building in 1951 was ….

Below the old cellar head.

tonydavies

Participant

My initial thought was Burton’s, but there was also a clock on the corner opposite, so I ruled that one out. The brickwork reminded me of the dairy on Penn Rd, but that was always a dairy, not a tailors! Was there one above Buxton and Bonnet? I can’t remember seeing one! For a wild guess, how about the Red House on the corner of Victoria Street?

Billy

Participant

Nothing correct there Tony so that eliminate’s a few fancies. for fellow contestants.

As soon as they crack No. 1 – The other two answers should come easily enough.

tonydavies

Participant

Now I feel really stupid! I used to work next door to this place in the 1960s at Bates Shoes on Dudley Street and used to use this clock to check whether I was late for work.  Did it used to be a branch of Burtons, Billy? It was on the corner where you now walk down to the Mander Centre. What it was in 1951 is another question. (I was only 4yrs old then!!)

Billy

Participant

Okay Tony ,sorry its all being left to you.

You have one of the three questions correct,  with a little research it shouldn’t be hard to find the answers to the other two.

Billy

Participant

It seems more help is needed here You were correct in assuming the shop in 1961 was a tailors indeed it was.

Wasn’t there a spot of bother in the store in the 1970’s When a Jamaican fellow died in an incident there the result of which caused a bit of racial tension in the town at the time.

Now if you can name this store It shouldn’t be to difficult to discover the name of  the business trading there ten years earlier.

Answer Saturday.

tonydavies

Participant

I do have some vague memory of the incident Billy but I’m afraid I’m at a loss when it comes to the name of the tailors. I’d left Bates’s by then and was working at the cobblers at the top of Bell Street, next to Rudlers.

Billy

Participant

Well at least you checked it out and made an attempt, and that is all that I am interested in .For the idea of this Wolverhampton Quiz is  test and  jog the memories of  older Wulfrunians and to further the knowledge  and provoke the imagination, for the interested younger folk.

The answers below:
    (1)  There are many clocks featured on the walls of Wolverhampton Buildings most are unreliable Where in town would you see this one…
    Answer: Today in Dudley Street on the left corner entrance to the Mander Centre.

(2) This building in 1961 was a tailors   can you name them…
    Answer: Hepworths Ltd Tailors

(3) This Building in 1951 was ….
    Answer: The Bodega on the corner of Johns Lane, one of four Public Houses in that short run of Dudley Street in 1951

Billy

Participant

Hepworths

Hepworths pictured in the 1960’s with J. A. Bates Ltd Shoe Dealers next door. The building that housed Hepworths then and still stands today in 2014, was built around 1928.

It replaced a Victorian Building  the home of The Bodega which was de-licensed in the 1950’s

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.