QUIZ PICTURE – OCTOBER No.1

Frontpage Forum Puzzle Corner QUIZ PICTURE – OCTOBER No.1

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  MaggieH 4 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

Billy

Participant

Puzzle Advert

Look carefully at the Express and Star advert there are two significant clues here,

that should give you the answer to this question

What was the date of the newspaper this ad appeared in.

A special bonus for naming the two correct clues

Below the old cellar head.

MaggieH

Participant

Hello Billy!  I am pretty sure I can remember an event referred to in your ad. However, I can only remember the approximate year (= roughly how old I was when I went with my mum to  dumdidumdidoo…)  So I won’t spoil it for others who might have a more precise idea.

Billy

Participant

Hi Maggie, Don’t be silly have a go, you may help others. But its only a bit of fun

MaggieH

Participant

Hmm – weeeeell … I think the clues must be 1) the reference to the Cup Final, and 2) the 66 years.  I have no idea when Wolves the club was founded.  But is this the year that I stood with the crowds by the old Queen’s ballroom on the corner of Queen square, and cheered the homecoming victors?  If so, could it have been 1961?  On the other hand, if  it’s another Cup Final that’s mentioned – I’m way off beam!

Billy

Participant

Thankyou Maggie, for at least taking an interest So we have 1961. I will post the answer next Friday I hope after a little more response .

oldwulf
    oldwulf

Participant

it was 1954, Wolves, led by Billy Wright  won the top division of the Football League for the first time. The newspaper was advertising tickets to the FA Cup final because West Bromwich had reached the final. Newspaper must have been 25th April 1954 as it is advertising trips to races on 26th April and Wolves won League on 24th April. Am I right?

oldwulf
    oldwulf

Participant

And the other clues were the RED House Advert – Wolves had been playing in the Football League for 66 years by 1954. The FA Cup final was on May 1st that year.

Billy

Participant

Bob when I  noticed born 1949 and your logo oldwulf,   I thought thats it

Yes Bob you are Spot on (25th April 1954.)

Wolves had topped  the league table for the first.time.

Albion had reached the final and went on to win it

The rest was an added bonus from you. Thankyou for taking an interest.

Billy

Participant

As I want to keep this section just for the Quiz. I have posted a suitable picture to accompany Bobs answer on People and Places.

MaggieH

Participant

Ah – kudos to Bob. My mum and dad would have remembered that – they had a season ticket at Molyneux (under the clock) for years.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.