Royal London January 2010

Frontpage Forum People & Places of Wolverhampton Royal London January 2010

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Billy 4 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

Daniel

Keymaster

Royal London Entance, Wolverhampton - January 5th 2010

Hello,

I just wanted to show a couple of pictures of the Royal London buildings that I took way back in 2010.

Royal London Building, Wolverhampton - January 5th 2010

Billy

Participant

Hi Dan,

Nice to see a corner of Wolverhampton not spoilt by progess. The Royal London Buildings named after the Insurance Company.

I am sure their are still many older Wulfrunians who can recall the clubman from the Royal London calling on their parents, to collect the weekly subscription on the penny polices they held.

I remember our Clubman , Mr Stanley whose claim to fame was that he had sold my grand parents a policy for my mother in 1910, one for me in 1937, and one for my son John in 1961, how’s that for service dedication.

The following  photo is the exact replica of the site of the London Buildings taken as you did with your back to the Varsity, (“George Hotel”) probably taken around 1890, before the site was cleared The Public House on the right,was the ‘Coopers Arms’.
    I am sure there is someone out there who will recall the famous Tea Company that later came on that spot.

Coopers arms

Below the old cellar head.

Robert
    Robert

Participant

I most certainly remember “SNAPES” the gents outfitters. Mr Snape used to give me the odd lift to school in my earlier years, he lived about four doors above where lived in Uplands Avenue.

Bob.

Brother Phillip and self 1937.

tonydavies

Participant

If I remember correctly, Barringtons was the tea company. There was always a pack in the cupboard at my Gran’s, and the teapot was never empty. Almost the first words from visiting family was, ” Any tea in that pot, Mother?”. The pot was always on the stove, topped up occasionally with another spoonful of tea and boiling water. Happy memories!

Neswulf
    Neswulf

Participant

That picture of pre-Royal London building is intriguing. Wolverhampton has lost so much, though the Royal London building is impressive and a testament to the money in the area at the time.

This beoþ ða land ymere ðe Wlfrun hafaþ, don into ða mynstre in Hamtune, & ðe tune nome ðe ðis priuilegie ymbe specheþ.

Billy

Participant

Yes its a shame we have lost so much of our Victorian Legacy over the years, How we let them destroy the Two Arcades , the Two Market Halls, etc etc…Beggars Belief.

Below the old cellar head.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.