"The INNER RING-ROAD"

Frontpage Forum People & Places of Wolverhampton "The INNER RING-ROAD"

This topic contains 6 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Billy 3 years, 10 months ago.

  • Author

    Posts

  • #5232


    Billy

    Participant

    WHAT DID THE RING ROAD DO FOR US?

    Wadhams map 1

    Below the old cellar head.

  • #5233


    Billy

    Participant

    The Ring Road – Phase one started in 1960. At the junction of Church Lane and Melbourne Street. on the Dudley Road.
    It was 475yards in length and finished on Penn Road at the junction of Poole Street and Merridale Street, in 1961.

    Main Casualties were the loss of St Pauls Church and Church Lane.

    1951 report

    This was Arthur Arrowsmiths take on it in 1951 whent the scheme was accepted.

    Below the old cellar head.

  • #5234


    Billy

    Participant

    An extract from the proposals the town planners had in mindin 1944.

    As the most satisfactory method of relieving congestion in the central are, it is recommended that a central ring road be constructed, containing within its circumference the principal Civic and Administrative Centre the principal shopping and business areas and the majority of places of amusement.

    The re-location of the Retail Market and the development of a Civic Centre in North Street and the Market area.

    The development of the area between Wulfruna Street, St Peters Square and Stafford Street as an educational precinct.

    The widening and conversion into a shopping street of St John’s Street. following the removal of industrial premises .

    The scheme, if carried out on the lines suggested would form a dignified and spacious Civic Centre, providing modern and adequate accommodation for the efficient administration of the town (a matter of utmost urgency) . Such a scheme brought to fruition would not only be a proof to succeeding generations of the civic pride and sense of civic responsibility shown by the present generation but would also help to foster and maintain a similar pride and responsibility in the citizens of the future.

    Below the old cellar head.

  • #5249


    Billy

    Participant

    Roy and Brian recall St Mary’s Street

    Here is a family photo taken on their front doorstep in St Mary’s Street, around 1950 they may have played with some of these youngsters then.

    They lived at No.5

    The Sargeants

    Below the old cellar head.

  • #5250


    Billy

    Participant

    Emmies writes that she had family in St Mary’s Terrace. Name of Short and Whitehouse.

    Yes Emmie – Arthur Whitehouse shared- No.1. with Clara Evans

    At that same time in the 1950’s at No.5 were the family of Silas Short

    The picture below shows the front door of No. 6 St Mary’s Terrace were
    incidentally next door at No.7 was a Pheobe Whitehouse

    6 St Mary's cres

    Below the old cellar head.

  • #5335


    Billy

    Participant

    “The Wellington ” No.8 Wadhams Hill de-licensed when this picture was taken in the 1950’s

    Wadhams Hill

    Below the old cellar head.

  • #5337


    Billy

    Participant

    There was another Wellington Public house as you rightly say here at five ways on the junction of North Road and Waterloo Road.
    The majestic building on the left in North Road was the North Wolverhampton Working Mens Club, on its left
    next door was the rears of the Five Ways Garage and the “Barley Mow” in Lower Stafford Street.

    North St.Wellington

    Below the old cellar head.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.