WAR'VERHAMPTON REMEMBERED

Frontpage Forum People & Places of Wolverhampton WAR'VERHAMPTON REMEMBERED

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Billy 2 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

Billy

Participant

WAR POSTER SMALL

Below the old cellar head.

Billy

Participant

I would be special if a relative or friend could add further info to this evocative snap.

The War lads

Army the Navy and the Airforce

This photo of four pals recently called up in 1942 has been included here because of its connection to Wolverhampton, and the 70 year anniversary of the end of the last war.

It shows local lads, pictured on St Peter’s Steps with the Wholesale Market in the background : Roy Jones, Army. Barry Chevasse, Navy. Mike Retallek and Max Warner, R.A. F.
    Finally the chap on the right still in civvies was Johnny Lowe who’s Mother and Father were the Licensee’s of the Kings Head Dudley Street,at this time in 1942.

Billy

Participant

Goerings car

This Famous automobile was on display in Wolverhampton just after the War
    (1) Did you see it
    (2) Where did you see it on show.

tonydavies

Participant

It seems that the car was later purchased from the British authorities by a Danish industrialist who used it regularly to drive to business meetings across Europe. I’d love to know what became of it in later years. Does anyone know if the car still exists?

Billy

Participant

Wolverhampton Road safety Exhibition 1947

As most of you will know by now I lived within a few hundred yards of the Civic Hall in North Street which featured just after the war three wonderful exhibitions which I attended.

The first as I recall was the Wolverhampton Road Safety Exhibition which I went to as a ten year old in June 1947.

The purpose of the exibition was to publicise to both adults and children the importance of Road Safety and of course part of the show and the main attraction was an appearence in the basement, of Herman Goerings Bullet proof car captured by the British Army and previously exhibited for War Charities.
    he safest car (for the passenger) ever built.

The section dedicated to the car is just one paragraph amongst so many, such was the amount going on at that exhibition It does though add a little to our knowledge of the car:
    “This car, which weighs five tons, is driven by an eight cylinder supercharged engine of 7.7.litre capacity, each cylinder being fitted with two plugs and dual ignition. The body is well proofed against small arms fire, and as a protection against grenades or mines has a specially fitted steel floor. The bodywork includes bullet-proof steel fitted into each door panel, the windows and windscreen are of 5-ply glass one and threequater inches thick, and marks from British rifle fire indicate that it is really bullet proof. The back of the car is protected by a retractable steel door.”

Billy

Participant

My Wife’s Grandfather Returned from South Africa in 1902. Buried in Belgium fifteen years later

MEMORY CPL WILLIAMS

Billy

Participant

While researching stories from the 1st World War in the many old newspapers I have I came across was this interesting advert.</p>
    <p>Apparently in 1914. The words Obesity and Fat, were never used in regard to the human figure. In those austere days you where either Lean or Stout!.</p>
    <p>And in November 1914 according to the Daily Mirror this then unknown dietician had come up with an amazing discovery to shed the pounds of Stout ladies.</p>
    <p>All this with No poisonous drugs, no harmful exercises, no starvation diet, but the simplest of home methods.<br />
    Miss Hartland the lady in question, has considerable means has kindly consented to send a copy of her book free to anyone interested in her discovery<br />
    .<br />
    All she asks is that a penny stamp should be enclosed for postage.<br />
    Address:</p>
    <p>Winifred Grace Hartland, (Dept 749) Diamond House, Hatton Garden, London,E.C. </p>

<p>https://flic.kr/p/K8gvWZ

Billy

Participant

stoutness small

Billy

Participant

https://flickr/p/K8gvWZ

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.