WHO'S BIRTHDAY

Frontpage Forum Puzzle Corner WHO'S BIRTHDAY

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Billy

Participant

Can you name this old chap well known today because of his longevity, this  young at heart fellow who is instantly recognised by his flamboyant manner of dress,  a person mentioned reguarly   in the news .

It is well known many books have been written about him and can you believe it he is 94yrs young tomorrow.

Below the old cellar head.

MaggieH

Participant

Well, Billy, I was thinking of the Dook, but I think his birthday is in the summer, so I guess it can’t be him.

Billy

Participant

Thanks for showing an interest Maggie, But not quite right this time. Did you ever have a Rupert  Annual for Christmas. Or perhaps the “Girls Own”

Rupert

Billy

Participant

.On November 8, 1920, one of the most enduring and well-loved children’s characters in British fiction made his first appearance in the Daily Express.

In 1935 the Daily Express decided that there were enough Rupert adventures to collect them all together in one volume, making an annual. During the height of Rupert’s popularity in the 1950’s sales of the Rupert Annual topped 1.7 million.

MaggieH

Participant

Nice one, Billy – I’d never have thought of Rupert! although, yes, I did have several of his Annuals – probably from around the early to mid fifties. Smart little tyke, wasn’t he!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.