Wolverhampton fairground in the 1940's 1950's

Frontpage Forum People & Places of Wolverhampton Wolverhampton fairground in the 1940's 1950's

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Billy 4 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

pmr137

Participant

Does anyone remember where the fairground was held in the 1940-1950’s in the Salop Street market area. Some think it was where the car park was, some where the market is now?

tonydavies

Participant

I remember it being in Salop Street. It was my first time on the Big Wheel. My dad must have felt that his arm was being pulled out of it’s socket – I was terrified! I seem to remember that, coming from the Penn Rd end, it was on the car park on the right hand side.

Billy

Participant

Hi (prm137) Welcome.

You must introduce yourself . But first thank you for your interesting post. Yes what  Wulfrunian over the age of sixty wouldn’t recall Pat Collins fair on the old Brickkiln Croft as you say were the new indoor Market stands today.

I have many fond memories of the fair on the patch making my first visit there with my parents when it was covered by canvas during the wartime blackout.

Pat Collins 48

A picture of the Fair on the Patch circa 1948, to start what I hope will prove an interesting thread.

Below the old cellar head.

MaggieH

Participant

I definitely remember riding on the big wheel in about 1957 or 8, and I remember it as being in the second block away from Worcester Street. I hope that makes sense – I’m not sure where car parks and market buildings are these days!  It would have been bounded by (I think) School Street, Great Brickkiln Street, and Salop Street, to name three of the sides. The 26 bus travelled along ?School Street, I think, on its journey through to Penn Road. At the same time, I have a hunch that I also remember the Fair, or part of it, located in the block nearer to Worcester Street, by the bike shop. Did it spread across the road?

pmr137

Participant

Sorry – I should have said a little about myself. I am married to an old Wolverhampton man – Tommy Riggs from Hawthorne Road (Fighting Cocks) who left the Express and Star for the Telford area  to work at the Shropshire Star in the 1960’s. He and some old school pals were having a ‘discussion’ about where the fairground was. The only old map of Wolves that I could find was 1901, when the fairground area was still all houses, so that didn’t help. I discovered that the fair (Collins) was held on the old market place near St Peters until 1947 then moved to the Brick Kiln site, but couldn’t find exactly where that was, so asked your help. Many thanks so far for the info – an interesting discussion already.

MaggieH

Participant

Yay – I knew Hawthorne Road. A couple of friends from junior school lived in or very near there – their names were Susan Swann and Mary Clements. I lived about five minutes walk from there.

pmr137

Participant

Maggi H. was your friend the sister of Charlie Swann? If so my hubby remembers him from school.

MaggieH

Participant

Pmr 137 – I’m not sure. I didn’t know a brother, but it’s quite possible. Susan would have been born around 1948: I remember her as rather pretty with dark curly hair. I seem to think she had freckles too. Not much help, though, I’m afraid!

Billy

Participant

janet Bumping Car

Does this stir anymore memories of the fair on Brickkiln Patch. This is my cousin Janet Nickholds she is the nervous passenger circa early 1950’s.

Below the old cellar head.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.